| Click on image titles for larger views. |
| Institution Name: Limestone College |
Original/Historic Place Name: Limestone Springs and Limestone Springs Hotel, "The Limestone Springs of Spartanburg District"
Location on Campus: 1115 College Dr.
Date(s) of Construction and Designer(s):
Type of Place: Building group
| 1835||original construction of hotel Unknown |
| 1847||original construction of church Unknown |
|Style(s) of majority of buildings: Other: modified Gothic in the Romanesque style |
|Style(s) of minority of buildings: Modern/pre-WWII |
|Building group type: Quadrangle; Other: front quadrangle comprises all of the district’s historic buildings except for Limestone Springs Baptist Church, which is included in district but independent of the College; facing the front quadrangle, the buildings beginning on the left are: Montgomery Hall, Carroll Fine Arts Building, Hamrick Hall of Science, Center-Ebert Residence Hall, Cooper Hall, Curtis Hall, and behind, Dixie Lodge; on the right side coming back up to front of campus are Eunice Ford Residence Hall, Granberry Hall, and Winnie Davis Hall of History. |
|Relationship to landscape: |
| none specified
|Ideas associated with building group: |
|The group exudes a classic, deliberately southern style that is formal in its landscape design; gives both the casual visitor and the student a settled, conservative, intellectual impression of the institution. || || Function: |
|ca. 1835||other (natural spring spa and hotel)|
|ca. 2004-present (2007)||other (Limestone College Campus)|
Significance: architecture, culture, history
Narrative: see below
|National Register||Limestone Springs Historic District (1986) |
References: see below
The Limestone Springs Historic District features the campus and environs of Limestone College and is located on the southwestern edge of Gaffney. The springs brought the construction of the original Limestone Springs Hotel in 1835, a health resort touted by locals as "The Saratoga of the South." One of the many such spas in the Upcountry, the Limestone Springs Hotel became the summer home for low-country residents seeking to escape the coastal summer heat.
The Limestone Springs Historic District is well laid out for pleasant college living. The nine campus buildings on the National Register of Historic Places all border and face the central and circular front drives, making each easily accessible to the others. The classic angled walkways connect the buildings, and a fountain with a circular walkway graces the area in front of the Curtis Administration Building. Large, old trees, including both evergreens and deciduous, provide ample shade for sections of the front quad area. The historic district also lists the limestone quarry, now a 12-acre lake over 300' deep, with banks that are steep limestone rock outcroppings covered with kudzu in the summer months. A one-mile walking path circles the lake.
|I. Bibliographic sources: |
Hopper, C. G., Jr., and Bobby G. Moss. Toward the Light. Gaffney, SC: Limestone College, 1998.
Limestone Springs Historic District [including Limestone College]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1986.
McMillan, Montague, A History of Limestone College, 1845-1970. Columbia, SC: R. L. Bryan Company, 1970.
Taylor, Walter Carroll. History of Limestone College. Gaffney, SC: Limestone College, 1937.
|II. Location of other data: |
|University: Library, Special Collections, Facilities Management Office |
|Government Offices |