| Click on image titles for larger views. |
| Institution Name: King College |
Original/Historic Place Name: Margaret M. Sells Science Hall
Location on Campus: 2213 Tadlock Rd.
Date(s) of Construction and Designer(s): Type of Place: Individual building
|Foundation: clay block|
|Walls: brick; block and drywall material|
|Roof: asphalt shingle and rubber roof (current, from 1949 addition)|
| || Function: |
| 1927-1977||academic department building (science: all labs and sciences until White Science Hall was built)|
|ca. 1950s-1990||facility management building (Facilities Services Department in basement moved from Women's Auxiliary Building; here until new facility built on Cedar Street)|
|ca. 2004-present (2007)||academic department building (Biblical studies, English as a second language, foreign languages, computer lab, technology space)|
Significance: culture, education, history, religion
Landmark designation: Narrative: see below
References: see below
Sells Hall was one of the original campus buildings and the original science facility of King College. The growth of the science program led to an expansion of Sells in 1949 financed by the Kresge Foundations of Chicago, and finally to the construction of a much larger, state-of-the-art science facility, White Science Hall, in 1977. Sells Hall is named for Margaret H. Sells at the request of George Sells, president of General Shale Brick and the supplier of all the brick used in King College's facilities.
Sells Hall needs a complete renovation of the interior. Previous renovation work was not done in accordance with quality standards of any era. The electrical system is partially upgraded but needs to be completed on the 2nd and 3rd floors; the back of the building faces the public and needs to have a "facelift" to bring it into accordance with the architectural features of the building; a quality space study needs to take place, since the building is used to house science labs, and the available offices are not efficient in their size or use; the false ceilings need replacing or should be restored to their original aesthetic design.
|I. Bibliographic sources: |
Landscape Master Plan. Narrative and drawings. King College, Bristol, TN.
Selected items from Collection of Master Plans. 1917, 1931, 1952 and 1968. King College Archives, King College, Bristol, TN.
Thompson & Litton Architects. Master Plan [King College]. Narrative and drawings. [Wise, VA: Thompson & Litton Architects], October 1998 and 1999.
|II. Location of other data: |
|University: Special Collections, Facilities Management Office |