| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Juniata College Museum of Art is located in Carnegie Hall, a handsome Beaux-Arts structure built in 1906-1907 by E.L. Tilton with funds from Andrew Carnegie. The building originally served as the college library until it was converted in 1964 into an art center with exhibition space known as "The Shoemaker Galleries." The name honors Colonel Henry Shoemaker and his wife Mabel who provided the funding. Upon receipt of a significant private collection in 1998 (the Worth B. Stottlemyer collection), the college obtained funds to renovate the building and increase exhibition space while preserving the structure's architectural significance, and to establish the Juniata College Museum of Art. The museum facility occupies 4,600 square feet of exhibition galleries, a painting studio, and basement facilities for photographic and computer graphics studios. Along with cosmetic interior restorations in public areas, the 1998 renovations included a new roof, a central HVAC and humidity system, a motion sensitive alarm system for exhibition and storage facilities, two ADA-compliant restrooms, and a loading dock to accommodate incoming/outgoing exhibitions and to permit handicapped access to the exhibition galleries. In addition to its fine arts holdings, the Juniata College Museum of Art maintains an extensive collection of historic photographs, postcards, and photographic negatives relating to the history and culture of Huntingdon County. To learn more about the museum collections, please visit the museum web site at: www.juniata.edu/museum.