| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Elmhurst, the oldest building on the Judson College campus in Marion, was once a wedding gift to Emily Adelia Billingslea Moore, daughter of a pioneer Georgia family. It was later to serve college presidents, faculty, and students and was bought in 1851 from Samuel Fowlkes and remodelled by Judge John Moore Marion as a wedding gift for his bride.
Judge Moore came from a distinguished family of early South and North Carolina history and was a captain in the Confederate army. He served as president of the Judson College Board of Trustees from 1887-1891. The Moores lived in Elmcrest for a half-century. The Tennessee writer, poet laureate, and state archivist John Trotwood Moore was born in the house on August 26, 1858. He was the son of Judge John Moore and Emily Billingslea Moore.
In 1905 the home was sold to Judson College, which used it to house the Home Economics department. In November 1948 it was partially destroyed by fire. Today it serves as a home for some of the Judson faculty.
The house is a two story frame dwelling with cross gable roof of asphalt shingles, a three bay facade, paired windows with hood moldings, full height entrance portico with balcony, central entrances with full transom and sidelights, and paired brackets along the cornice.