| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Gillett House was built in 1832 and provided temporary sanctuary for freedom-seeking slaves on the Underground Railroad. It is named for its original owner, Bezaleel Gillett, a physician and merchant who helped found Trinity Church in Jacksonville, the first Episcopal church in Illinois. The structure was converted into a Bed and Breakfast in 2001 and was acquired by Illinois College in 2004. Preliminary plans call for Gillett House to be used as a focal point for study of the Underground Railroad and research on local history.