| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Bellingrath Hall was the first major building at Huntingdon devoted almost exclusively to educational functions. In the 1920s, it became evident that in order to earn membership in the Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools of the Southern Association, Woman's College would have to expand and upgrade its facilities in several areas; one of these was the science department, which would need to be moved from Flowers Hall to a suitable structure. Noted Montgomery architect Frank Lockwood designed the building in a style compatible with Flowers Hall, the dormitories, and the Miriam Jackson Home. Bellingrath opened in December, 1928 and continues to serve the various scientific branches.
Bellingrath is a three-story, one by five bay, T-shaped brick building with a complex gabled roof clad in slate. The main bay of the front façade is a slightly projecting, steeply gabled bay delineated by quoins. The recessed front entrance comprises paneled wooden doors with multi-light windows and a multi-light, Gothic arched tympanum. At the present time, there are plans for a restoration of the current building, and the addition of a new wing; phase one has been completed, but phase two is still in progress.