Elliston-Cassle Wellness Center
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Completed in February 1940, Jacket Gym replaced the original gym, which was a converted frame building initially built in 1918 to house the student army training corps at the college. That building served as a men's dorm before being converted to a gym in 1924. It burned down in 1938.
The board of trustees built the Jacket Gym with the college as the contractor and with student labor at a cost of $70,000. At the dedication of the building the new gym was hailed as the largest and finest physical education building in west Texas. Jacket Gym served the college as the venue for varsity sports as well as faculty offices and Phys Ed classes until the college moved its varsity sports competitions to Brownwood coliseum in 1963-1964. Following that date, the building was used only by classes and intramurals. When the Mamie McCullough Athletic Department Complex was completed in 1994, the faculty offices, weight room, and other facilities were moved to that building. The faculty office space was then used as temporary office space while other buildings were being renovated or built. Jacket Gym itself was renovated in 2000-2001, and today the building houses a wellness center, distance learning classrooms, faculty offices, and intramural basketball/volleyball courts.