Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Douglas MacArthur Academy of Freedom

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Howard Payne University
Original/Historic Place Name: Daniel Baker College Administration Building
Location on Campus: 1304 Austin Ave./ DBC Campus
Date(s) of Construction and Designer(s):
1890original construction Unknown
1960sremodeling of front facade Dill, Frank
ca. 1969extensive renovation; addition of two wings; dedication in October Unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style(s): (Glossary)
Materials:
Foundation: concrete
Walls: sandstone
Roof: slate; composition
 
    Function:
1890-1953other (the building originally belonged to Daniel Baker College, and was the adminstration building; in 1953 Daniel Baker College merged with Howard Payne University)
ca. 1953-1960classrooms
ca. 1953-1960other (storage)
1969-present (2007)library (supporting honors program)
1969-present (2007)classrooms
1969-present (2007)academic department building (history and political science; houses the Douglas MacArthur Academy of Freedom Honors Program)

Significance: culture, education
Landmark designation:
none
Narrative: see below
References: see below
 

Narrative:
Completed in 1890, the Daniel Baker College Administration Building was three stories high and comprised not only administrative offices but also faculty offices and classroom space. (These overcrowded conditions were eventually alleviated with the construction of additional buildings.) DBC merged with Howard Payne in 1953, and from that time until the early 1960s the building was used for storage and for additional classroom space. In 1962, the Douglas MacArthur Academy of Freedom Honors Program was established, and the decision was made to house the program in the DBC building. After extensive renovation and the addition of two classroom wings to the sides of the building, the facility was dedicated in October, 1969.

Today the building houses classrooms and offices used by the history and political science faculty for both the honors program and regular undergraduate programs. In addition, several environmental learning classrooms tracing humanity's quest for freedom where constructed during the remodeling. These include a replica of Philadelphia's Independence Hall, an old English meeting hall, and a larger auditorium. A library supporting the honors program is located in the building as well.
 

References:
I. Bibliographic sources:

None specified.

II. Location of other data:
University: Library
Other: Office of University historian.
 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
One Dupont Circle, Ste. 320
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006