| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Durfee Hall was built as a residence hall in 1950 and honors Winifred Hackley Durfee, Dean of Women at Hope from 1909 to 1936. It now also provides space for the college's computer services.
Architecturally the building reflects post-war modernism, stressing a flat roof and an absence of decoration. The building is significant as an example of modernist anonymity and internationalism, utilizing an economy of means and foregoing Dutch Renaissance decoration, such as is seen in the neighboring Lubbers Hall.