| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Shriner Hall, the oldest residence hall on the Hood College campus, opened its doors in the fall of 1915. Built at a cost of $68,000 and originally known as Residence Hall A, it was later named for Edward A. Shriner and his first wife, Margaret Elizabeth Derr Shriner, in recognition of the generosity to Hood of their son, Edward Derr Shriner, Sr.
In 2001, the building was closed for major renovation, opening again in the fall of 2002. The renovation featured the rehabilitation of 61 bedrooms, including several bedroom/living room suites, complete with all new furniture and designed to house 106 students; the modernizing of the building's infrastructure with updated electrical and plumbing systems, air conditioning and sprinkling systems; a new elevator; new windows, and new stairwells; a modern kitchen, a handicapped-accessible west entrance and patio, an enhanced foyer, refinished floors where appropriate, and wall-to-wall carpeting throughout the building. Every room offers high-speed Internet access.