Library Learning Center
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Heritage College is located on the Yakama Indian Reservation. The Library Learning Center Building was designed and constructed in 1993 in a style reflective of Yakama Nation culture. The brick exterior walls of the building have Klickitat basket designs. The 14 peeled white fir columns supporting the Library Learning Center's roof represent the 14 Native American tribes and bands who in 1855 were confederated into the Yakama Indian Nation. Of the original 10.8 million acres claimed by the Yakamas, 1.4 million acres was set aside by the Treaty of 1855 as the Yakama Reservation. All of the remaining land was ceded to the United States Government. The columns themselves came from Yakama forested reservation land. The library section of the building, with its long and narrow central aisle and high pitched roof, was inspired by the Yakama longhouse design: longer than it is wide and with an arched ceiling.
The Library Learning Center Building on Heritage College campus has features in its architecture that embody the mission and location of the College. Twenty years ago, Dr. Kathleen Ross and two Native American women established Heritage College on the Yakama Nation reservation to provide higher education to multicultural populations that had been educationally isolated. The College is recognized nationally as a model for multicultural higher education, and this is the first building the College constructed.