| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Galloway Hall was the first woman's residence hall constructed on the Hendrix campus. Although women have been admitted to Hendrix since its founding in 1876, the College was for many years considered the "male" college of the Methodist Church in Arkansas, with Galloway Woman's College in Searcy serving as the church's college for women. As the Great Depression began, financial difficulties caused the Methodist Church to combine its male and female colleges at the Conway campus. Galloway Woman's College was absorbed into Hendrix, where a new residence hall for women was constructed and named Galloway to preserve a name with a great deal of meaning for the institution's loyal alumni.
The two-story Tudor Revival Building provides living space for 92 women. A highlight of the building is the Galloway Parlor, an impressive room with a fireplace and a grand piano where many "Galloway Girls" were proposed to in the 1930s and 40s. The building has been updated through the years and underwent significant repairs after a fire damaged one wing in 1995.