| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The oldest surviving building on campus, Archdale Hall was built from bricks salvaged from the burned King Hall (1877-1884). The building was named for John Archdale, Quaker Governor of Carolina from 1694-1696. Extensive renovations were done in 1927 that added entrance porches, a central stairway, and indoor plumbing. The building served as a men's dormitory (except for a brief time during World War II when it housed women) from 1888-1965. It has been used for faculty offices since that time.