| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
As one of the older campus structures, the Hut has provided a variety of key campus functions over the past century. It was constructed as the college's power plant with money from a contribution by R.J. Reynolds. The plant was constructed in an effort to keep Guilford modern and in direct competition with other colleges already boasting electricity. Following the destruction of the generator by fire in 1919, the building served as storage space and later as a central gathering place for students. The building continues to serve students as the home of campus ministries.