| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
This building was originally the home of Lawrence Mcginnes and his wife Elizabeth. Mcginnes was an astute businessman, a large landowner, and a devout Irish Catholic. Mcginnes, along with Frank Seewald, Peter Pepin, Frank Cable, and Frank Parent, founded the first Catholic Church in Greenville and all attended the first mass held there in 1875. For donating so much time and money to the church, it was named "St. Lawerence" in his honor, as was the Catholic cemetery built several years later. A large stone at the entrance serves as a memorial to Mcginnes.
The house is a two-story brick dwelling, constructed with local bricks made in the foundry a few blocks away. (According to an 1896 map, the brick foundry was located between Oak and Durley Streets.) The house features arched windows and shutters, and the interior has a lovely stairway going up from the entranceway to the second floor. A beautiful wooden railing leads up to an exposed second floor hallway. This is the last house in Greenville to still retain its true widow's walk. An 1896 photo of the house shows it without a porch, so we know that this feature was added later.