| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
This house was built in 1900 to serve as the home of the College's business manger. W.M. Curtis assumed that position in 1905 and held it until his retirement until 1939. Mr. Henry McEntire became the College's business manager in 1939 and lived in the house until he died while trying to salvage some documents during the 1941 fire that engulfed Main Building's rotunda.
Up until the house was designated the Campbell Career Center some years back, the house was known locally as the W.M. Curtis House. The house is now known as the Middle College because it houses the main administrative office of the Middle College. The Middle College is a joint endeavor between the College and the local school system that gives some students the opportunity to complete their high school education on a college campus and perhaps even take college classes. Over the years, the building has seen a number of interior and exterior modifications. Renovated within the past few years to meet Middle College needs and safety requirements, the house is only in fair shape.