| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Because this building was meant for temporary use, it is not tremendously well built. However, under the Quaternion Club's care the Old College has survived with only general repairs taking place over the years. In 1910-1911 the Quaternion Club took control of the building to use it its meetings; the building had been in danger of being torn down.
The Old College building was originally constructed in 1851 as a two-room temporary classroom space while permanent buildings were built on the old campus. Two of Furman's more important teachers and administrators taught in this building: James C. Furman in the south end and Charles H. Judson in the north end. This building also provides an important visual link between the humble beginnings of Furman on the old campus and the school of today. Through this building and photographs of the others that did not survive, one can trace the Furman's development over the last 150 years.
When Furman moved to the new campus in the 1960s, the Old College was moved to the north side of the lake where it still serves as the Quaternion Club's meeting place. An electric keyboard and automatic roll player for the carillon of the Bell Tower are also housed in the Old College.