Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Jesse Edwards House (President's House)

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: George Fox University
Original/Historic Place Name: Jesse Edwards House
Location on Campus: 402 S. College St.
Date(s) of Construction and Designer(s):
1883original construction Unknown
1905relocation Unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style(s): (Glossary)
Materials:
Foundation: brick masonry walls on brick masonry spread footings
Walls: lap siding sheathing (exterior); wood studs (interior); lathe and plaster (interior)
Roof: cedar shake; skip sheathing; wood rafters (2 x 6)
 
    Function:
1883-1998private residence
1998-present (2007)president's house

Significance: architecture, education, history
Landmark designation:
National RegisterEdward, Jesse, House (1980)
Narrative: see below
References: see below
 

Narrative:
At 120 years old, the Jesse Edwards House is the second oldest residence in the city of Newberg, Oregon. It was built by the "Father of Newberg" and one of the founders of George Fox University. It is on the National Register of Historic Places. The only older local house--by two years--is the Hoover-Minthorn House, preserved as a national and local landmark because it served as a boyhood home for U.S. President Herbert Hoover. It too is on the National Register. The two houses are interconnected. When Jesse and Mary Edwards built their two-story wood house in 1883, they sold his first home to Dr. Henry Minthorn, who came to Newberg to become the first superintendent of Friends Pacific Academy (later George Fox University). The 2,250-square-foot "stick style" Victorian house is prominent in the area's history. Its spacious music room was once used as a meeting place for the early founding Quakers. The Edwards House was built 100 feet from its current location and moved in 1905 to allow a street extension. Jesse Edwards was a member of the first Pacific College board and was still a member at his death, serving 39 years. The house was purchased by descendants of the Edwards family and given to the University in 1998, to be used as the home for university presidents. Extensively restored, it features a wrap-around porch, turned Tuscan Doric porch columns, bracketed cornices, shuttered windows, a distinctive gable roof, and the original interior entrance hall and stairway.
 

References:
I. Bibliographic sources:

Beebe, Ralph K. A Heritage to Honor, A Future to Fulfill: George Fox College, 1891-1991. Newberg, OR: Barclay Press, 1991.

Braun, Gerrie, and Cynthia Braun. Edwards (Jesse) House [George Fox University]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1980.

Newberg (OR) Graphic, July 1, 1892.

II. Location of other data:
University: Unknown
—details: Archives, George Fox University.
SHPO
Government Offices
 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
One Dupont Circle, Ste. 320
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006