Thad M. Buckner Building
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
To the northwest of the Pfeiffer Chapel is the Thad M. Buckner Building, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and originally named the E. T. Roux Library. This low, split-level building is dominated by the circular reading room measuring ninety feet across. The roof, which spans the entire space, is built-up of three flat, concentric levels which form two clear stories admitting light to the tan and white reading room. On the northeast side of the building is a two-story, rectangular wing which houses offices, book stacks, and a smaller study area. As with all of the Wright buildings, the external walls are composed of the same materials as the Pfeiffer Chapel. The interior of the reading room contains three tiers of wood study desks with a librarian's desk in the center of the room. Protruding from the northeast wing into the round space is a mezzanine. The northeast wing is dominated by diamond shaped light shafts. In 1956, a 900 square foot extension was made to the northwest corner of the structure. Between 1968 and 1969 the building was converted to administrative use, the student body having outgrown its capacity, and it was renamed the Thad Buckner Building at that time.