| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
In 1916, Frank B. and Sadie Vennum of Champaign, IL, noted "Friends of Christian Education," pledged $30,000 to Eureka College to fund the construction of what was then one of the finest, state-of-the-art science facilities in central Illinois.
The mere fact that the phrases "Vennum Science Hall" and "Friends of Christian Education" coexist respectively in the northern and eastern facades of this building is noteworthy but also telling of the intellectual climate of the Progressive Era. At a time when many believed that science and religion were mutually exclusive, the architectural language of this building suggested otherwise.