| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Purchased in 1939, Reynolds Hall was the first real estate bought by Endicott College. It was named for Grace Morrison Reynolds, an original trustee of Endicott, and is currently a residence hall.
At one time it was a summer home (known as "Rockedge") of Herbert Mason Sears, a Boston banker and philanthropist. He married Caroline B. Bartlett in 1891 and had three daughters, Elizabeth, Phyllis and Lillian.
The main house was enlarged in 1907. The property received a large patio, a large carriage house, a barn, and multiple drives and circles. The property extended across Hale Street and included the beach with pier and bathhouse we call Endicott Beach.
Mr. Sears sold the entire property in 1921 to Mr. and Mrs. Charles Kendall. They used the property as a school for girls known as Kendall Hall. Kendall Hall moved to Peterborough, New Hampshire, in 1935, and the property remained vacant for over 3 years until it came into the possession of the college.