| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The stone carriage house/barn was built in 1864. It has remained in good condition, having been renovated several times over the years. A major addition (in wood) was added when the student residence was expanded in 1953.
The original stone part of Marshall Hall is beautiful and unusual in the quality of its design and stone construction, considering its functional use as a carriage house/barn. Historically, it is of great significance here because it is the only remaining structure from the
early days of Edgewood, built before the property was given to the Sinsinawa Dominican Sisters for use as an academy (1881) and before the opening of Edgewood College (1927). Its association with one of the first owners of the Edgewood Villa and his 55-acre estate is also important. The original property was owned by Samuel Marshall from 1857 to 1873. Marshall founded the first bank in Madison (the State Bank, 1852), and he was the co-founder of the Marshall and Ilsley banks (based in Milwaukee), one of the largest banking operations in the state of Wisconsin. Marshall's daughter, Elizabeth, often returned to Edgewood in later years and spoke of the early history of the place. It was she who had the historical plaque commemorating her father placed near the entrance to Marshall Hall.
The original part of the building is stone--which was unusual for a 1860s carriage house/barn in this area. The 1953 addition is an ordinary frame addition, common to the era and locale.