Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Centennial Building

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Edward Waters College
Original/Historic Place Name: Centennial Building
Location on Campus: 1658 Kings Rd.
Date(s) of Construction and Designer(s):
1916original construction Unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style(s): (Glossary)
Materials:
Foundation: concrete
Walls: red brick
Roof: shingle (front); tar; gravel (back)
 
    Function:
ca. 1916other (elementary and high school)
ca. present (2007)other (rehearsal hall)
ca. present (2007)gymnasium
ca. present (2007)classrooms

Significance: education, history, religion
Landmark designation:
National RegisterCentennial Hall - Edward Waters College (1976)
Narrative: see below
References: see below
 

Narrative:
The Centennial was originally used as a high school and elementary school in conjunction with a wood frame building that no longer stands.

From National Register report:
Centennial Hall survives as the oldest building on the campus of Edward Waters College. It was completed in 1916 and was designed by the firm of Howells and Stokes, Seattle, Washington. The three-story brick building presents a classic appearance, being completely symmetrical and perfectly balanced on all elevations. The main façade faces south, and the building occupies a prominent position amidst a large open green space with regularly arranged walkways. Entry to the building on the south side is gained via double wooden doors set into the base of a central two-story pavilion. The pavilion is defined by paired engaged columns sharing common capitals which rise on either side of the entrance to an entablature located at the level of second floor window lintels. The entrance is further defined by framing pilasters and entablature set within the aforementioned pavilion. Above the entrance is a grouping of three double-hung sash windows grouped into a common surround.

Fenestration is regular on all elevations, all windows being double-hung sash with stone sills and lintels. Due to the multiplicity of windows on the south elevation, there being forty on this side alone, there is very little expanse of brick wall visible. The building terminates in a plain entablature and boxed cornice beneath a hipped roof. At the midpoint of the roof ridge is a small octagonal cupola with glazed sides and a conical roof within slightly flared eaves. This cupola is of diminished size and is the only component on the exterior of the building which is completely out of scale.

The exterior of Centennial Hall remains completely unaltered. All alternations have been limited to the interior of the structure and have been kept to a minimum as building use has changed through the years. The structure is in a good state of repair and is in constant use.
 

References:
I. Bibliographic sources:

Centennial Hall--Edward Waters College. National Register of Historic Places designation report. U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1976.

II. Location of other data:
University: Library, Special Collections, Facilities Management Office
SHPO
Government Offices
 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
One Dupont Circle, Ste. 320
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006