| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
For 120 years, Stone Chapel has been the primary built symbol of Drury College and Drury University. Although it was named for Valeria G. Stone, an early benefactor of the college, the name also refers coincidentally to the chapel's status as the first stone building in Springfield. The building thus represents not only the importance of Drury's church-related founding and continued mission, but also the importance of the institution within the larger community.
Stone Chapel's cornerstone was laid in November 1880, but the unfinished building was nearly completely destroyed by fire in 1882. Rebuilding based on the original plans was conducted from 1882 through 1892. The chapel underwent extensive structural renovations from 1948 through 1962, and minor renovations were also made in 1979. Though the chapel's details, window shapes, and stained-glass mark it as a gothic revival building, the overall simplicity of the forms and the restrained nature of the ornament convey a mid-western sense of frugality and practicality. This, along with the use of stone from local quarries, ties the building firmly to its region. The chapel's sanctuary is on its upper floor and includes a stage and a rear choir loft. The lower floor of the building contains classrooms and offices.