Doane Administration Building
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Completed in 1895 as the Doane Academy, the Romanesque Revival building was constructed of buff Oakland pressed brick, with Amherst stone trimmings. Locally quarried sandstone was used for the foundation. It featured lovely semicircular carved arches supported by columns in the entryway, and arched windows. Two pairs of chimneys and a hipped slate roof crown its four floors. Currently the Doane Administration Building houses administrative offices, including those of the president and provost. It is a well-maintained building that has been converted from classroom to office use.
Originally built for the college preparatory school, Doane was named for Denison trustee and benefactor, William Howard Doane. The Cincinnati industrialist and hymn composer donated money to construct a separate building to house the prep school, an important component of Denison's educational mission for almost 100 years. Doane Academy was a fully-accredited high school that closed in 1927, when improvements in public high school education made it redundant. Doane Academy housed all of the prep school functions and included a chapel on the top floor. The structure represents an era in both educational and campus history and remains a vital part of the campus.