| Click on image titles for larger views. |
| Institution Name: Davidson College |
Original/Historic Place Name: Helper Hotel
Location on Campus: 215 N. Main St.; SW corner of college campus
Date(s) of Construction and Designer(s):
Type of Place: Individual building
|ca. 1848||original construction begun Unknown |
|ca. 1860||original construction completed Unknown |
| || Function: |
|ca. 1840||private residence|
|ca. 1840||other (rooming house)|
|ca. 1840||other (teen canteen)|
|ca. 1840||other (drugstore)|
|ca. 1840||other (hotel)|
|ca. 2004-present (2007)||other (meeting facility for campus presentations and lectures)|
|ca. 2004-present (2007)||administration (program offices for the Davidson College Center for Interdisciplinary Studies)|
|ca. 2004-present (2007)||faculty offices|
Significance: architecture, education
Landmark designation: Narrative: see below
References: see below
This building was not originally owned by the college but was adjacent to it and over the decades has played a large role in the college's life. Its position in relation to the campus creates the impression that it is an extension of campus.
The structure is architecturally significant as an example of Jeffersonian Classicism, and it has strong associative ties with Davidson College and with the surrounding community. The Carolina Inn is the oldest building in Mecklenburg County that once served as a hotel. The father-in-law of two Presidents of Davidson College operated a drugstore in the building.
An inn was run at one time by Mr. Pinkney Helper, whose brother, Hinton Rowan Helper, wrote The Impending Crisis of the South (1860), an antebellum denunciation of slavery based on economic grounds. The book was significant. That Davidson College had a copy of the book in its library at that time is reflective of the tolerance that was fostered in the area. Additionally, there were no recriminations against either Pinkney or Hinton Rowan Helper.
The building began as a modest two-story building, but ended as a rectangle with a hip roof double gallery in the front and a widow's walk on the top.
|I. Bibliographic sources: |
Beaty, Mary D. A History of Davidson College. Davidson, NC: Briarpatch Press, 1988.
Davidson, Chalmers Gaston. The Plantation World Around Davidson. Davidson, NC: Briarpatch Press, 1982.
An Inventory of Older Buildings in Mecklenburg County and Charlotte. Charlotte, NC: Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission, 1975.
Turner, Paul. "Some Thoughts on Campus Planning." Planning for Higher Education 16, no. 36 (1987-1988): 27-28.
|II. Location of other data: |
|University: Library, Special Collections |
|Other: Records of the Mecklenburg County Register of Deeds Office, Charlotte, NC.
Records of the Mecklenburg County Tax Office, Charlotte, NC. |