| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Constructed in 1849, the building was financed by subscriptions raised by student members of the society. It cost $2,500, according to handwritten records found during an early renovation. The architecture of this building and its sister building, the Philanthropic Literary Society Hall, is arguably the most elegant in this area of the Piedmont.
The societies served as the earliest society and intellectual centers for students outside the classrooms, with debates, orations, and discussions of current events during meetings.The Honor system, a stable of campus values at Davidson, had its origin in these groups. During commencement exercises, the students were led in the procession by representatives from the two societies, each wearing distinctive regalia, pink representing Eumenean and blue representing Philanthropic. Even today that tradition continues.
Woodrow Wilson (then known as Thomas W. Wilson) was a member of the Eumenean Literary Society (1873-1874). He served as secretary of this group, and the College Archives owns his notebook from his school days. He did not return to Davidson due to ill health.
The hall was renovated over fifty years ago, in the mid-1950s; however, it has had little work done to it since that time, except for a new roof. The second floor, which contains the meeting hall, is very elegant, with original dais furnishings.The first floor has been used for faculty offices and is not presented as being "of the period."
The Eumenean Literary Society Hall forms one side of the campus' original quadrangle, facing Philanhropic Literary Society Hall. The grounds between the two were sites of noted debates between North and South Carolina students, of particular note before and during the War Between the States.
The campus architecture is based on the University of Virginia, with Jeffersonian neo-classical design. The original chapel (now gone), early dorms (Oak and Elm Rows) and Eumenean and Philanthropic Halls make up the old quad, a mini-version of Monticello. The library, built in 1974, was designed based on "Bremo," the only flatroofed building Jefferson designed. Jefferson's influence on campus design was considerable from the outset and has had a lasting influence. Five apartment-dorms built in the last ten years were designed based on the style of Eumenean and Philanthropic Society Halls; and subsequent additions have followed the Jeffersonian neo-classical style, with quads and groupings to give buildings an appropriate relationship to others.