| Click on image titles for larger views. |
| Institution Name: Agnes Scott College |
Original/Historic Place Name: Bradley Observatory
Location on Campus: E. Hancock St.
Date(s) of Construction and Designer(s): Type of Place: Individual building
|Walls: concrete; metal frame; brick veneer|
|Roof: bitumen; standing-seam alumninum|
| || Function: |
|ca. 1951||planetarium (6-seat)|
|ca. 1951||faculty offices|
|ca. 1951||classrooms (including seminar room)|
|ca. 2000-present (2007)||planetarium (70-seat)|
|ca. 2000-present (2007)||academic department building (research laboratory)|
|ca. 2000-present (2007)||observatory|
|ca. 2004-present (2007)||faculty offices|
|ca. 2004-present (2007)||theater (recital hall)|
|ca. 2004-present (2007)||classrooms (large theater-type classroom and other seminar room)|
Significance: architecture, education
Narrative: see below
|National Register||South Candler Street--Agnes Scott College Historic District (1994) |
References: see below
The Bradley Observatory was built in 1949, when the study of astronomy was virtually nonexistent in the Southeast. It is situated in a wooded area on the far south side of campus. Renovated in 2000 with the addition of the 70-seat Delafield Planetarium, the facility houses various technical equipment, including a Zeiss Skymaster ZKP-3 projector (one of only nine in the United States), eight Meade ETX-90E Maksutov-Cassegrain telescopes, six Celestron eight-inch Schmidt-Cassegrain telescopes, two Meade LX50 eight-inch and 10-inch Schmidt-Cassegrain telescopes, the recently modernized and upgraded Beck Telescope, 1930 vintage Cassegrain with 30-inch primary mirror, and the Bradley Radio Telescope (BraT).
The observatory's Celestial Spheres plaza is a carefully scaled representation of the solar system and the Milky Way galaxy. Designed by Agnes Scott astronomy and art professors, the plaza is a mosaic of shades of granite.
|I. Bibliographic sources: |
Agnes Scott College Alumnae Magazine (Winter 2001).
Dedication of Bradley Observatory and Delafield Planetarium, Agnes Scott College. Program brochure. 2000.
McNair, Walter Edward. Lest We Forget: An Account of Agnes Scott College. Decatur, GA: Agnes Scott College, 1983.
Sayrs, M. Lee, and Christine S. Cozzens. A Full and Rich Measure. Decatur, GA: Agnes Scott College, 1990.
Sharp, Leslie N. South Candler Street--Agnes Scott College Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1994.
|II. Location of other data: |
|University: Special Collections, Facilities Management Office |
|Government Offices |