| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Construction of the original Luther Hall was completed in 1948 to provide badly needed administrative offices and classroom space as a replacement for a 1907 multipurpose building.
Daily chapel services were conducted over time in various locations, a situation that was deemed less than satisfactory. Daily worship is considered a vital part of the students' spiritual development, and the practice of conducting daily chapel services in various campus locations was eventually deemed unsatisfactory. An addition was therefore constructed on the west end of Luther Hall to provide a chapel on the second floor and a library on the first floor. Concerns over accreditation led to the incorporation of a library in the planning.
The library moved into a new building in 1981; the vacated space was converted to administrative offices.
The building's classrooms, especially the science labs, became inadequate for a growing curriculum. In 1993 an addition was constructed on the east end of the original Luther Hall to provide modern classrooms, biology and chemistry laboratories, an auditorium, and faculty offices. The building, incidentally, was constructed in such as way as to save a large century-old Garry Oak tree growing nearby.
The chapel was no longer adequate for a growing student body, so daily chapel worship was moved to a nearby church. The chapel will be decommissioned so it can be used for other purposes.