| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The former Lew Huntoon house is a two-story English Cottage style building located on a prominent corner of the Concordia College campus. The first floor is constructed of dark red brick, and the second floor is white stucco. Wide, tri-part windows fill much of each wall. The roof is paired gables on the front façade, and the front porch roof repeats the gable on a much smaller scale. The roof shingles wrap under the eaves, giving the house a soft appearance and its distinctive English style. One side of the roof is marked by paired dormer windows, one a shed dormer, the other an eyelid dormer (from "Huntoon, Lew A, House," National Register report ).
This building was originally the home of the prominent Moorhead banker Lew Huntoon and his family. It was acquired by the college in 1945. It was first used as a women's residence hall and then the home management house before becoming the president's house in 1951.
A recent garage was built on one corner of the lot. An attempt was made--with moderate success--to complement the residence. The garage is not included in the nomination.