Marikle Chapel of the Annunciation
| Click on image titles for larger views. |
Marikle Chapel of the Annunciation (view toward chancel, after 1968), College of Notre Dame of Maryland
The Marikle Chapel of the Annunciation, originally called the Chapel of the Assumption, was designed by Baldwin & Pennington, a well-known Baltimore architectural firm. In the 1890s, the firm also designed buildings for The Johns Hopkins University, the Maryland Club, the Rennert Hotel, as well as other Catholic churches.
Since 1896, the chapel in Theresa Hall on the second floor has been the center of spiritual life on campus. During the 1980s and 1990s, when several historic churches in the Baltimore area underwent restorations, many at Notre Dame who remembered the beauty and splendor of the original chapel began to consider renovations. When the College launched the Legacy of Leadership campaign in 1999, renovation of the chapel became a priority. The $2.5 million restoration was made possible through the generosity of Helen Marikle Passano (class of '69) and her husband, E. Magruder Passano, Jr. The chapel was dedicated on December 14, 2002 and renamed The Marikle Chapel of the Annunciation in tribute to Helen's parents, Henry John and Wanda Mildred Marikle, and to the School Sisters of Notre Dame.
The original chapel was designed in the Byzantine style, with an arched ceiling, an early Renaissance revival nave, and two side aisles. Renovations in 1933 and 1947 maintained the original design and were primarily cosmetic in scope. The 1968 renovation created a post-Vatican II place of worship and significantly changed the look of the original chapel. The 2002 restoration/renovation was done by Murphy & Dittenhafer (Michael Murphy is the son of Frederick Murphy, who designed Fourier Library), an award-winning Baltimore firm that also renovated St. Ignatius Church in Baltimore. This renovation has attempted to recapture the chapel's original design.