Moray L. Eby Fieldhouse
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Men's Gymnasium, constructed in 1929-1930, was a large building for its time, especially for Coe College's campus. It is hard to write about Coe's 1930, $325,000 gymnasium in 2003 and truly appreciate the significance it held for the college community. Those who inspected the building upon completion called it one of the best and finest athletic complexes not only in Iowa but in the United States.
Throughout the years the Men's Gymnasium expanded and changed. In 1965, an annex was added to the west side, and in 1980 a natatorium to the east. One of the most significant changes to the building, however, was not a physical change. After the death of one of Coe College's greatest coaches, Moray L. Eby, the college decided to name the Men's Gymnasium after him. Mr. Eby died in 1958 shortly after he was inducted into the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics Hall of Fame in St. Petersburg, Florida. He had a lifetime football coaching record of 131 victories, 77 defeats, and 17 ties. Nationwide attention was given to Coe as a result of his first coaching season with his "point-a-minute" football team.
From the first basketball game held in the Men's Gymnasium up until recent athletic competitions, Eby Fieldhouse has seen great athletes pass through Coe College. This great building located at the north end of campus has withstood the test of time and will continue to be the heart of great athletics at Coe College.