| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Voorhees Quadrangle, a gift of Mrs. Elizabeth R. Voorhees of Clinton, New Jersey, was completed in the fall of 1917. It was the center of social life on campus. Voorhees maintained the atmosphere of a refined and cultured home. Certain residence customs that promoted regularity of habit with definite hours for studying, sleeping, visiting, and Sunday observances were fostered in the home.
It was one of the most attractive structures on campus, four stories high, L-shaped, including a central commons, with residence halls on each side. The building accommodated one-hundred and seventy young women. It was fire proof and modern in every respect. The commons contained the dining room on the ground level, and a reception hall with parlors was located above.
The third floor of the east wing, isolated from the rest of the building, was an infirmary. Special care was given to the health of women on campus. A swimming pool, laundry, and kitchenette in the west wing added to the comforts of the Voorhees women.
In the summer of 2000, Voorhees Hall received a much-needed renovation. Bathrooms were updated; air conditioning was installed; the lobby was redecorated; and an elevator was added to make Voorhees handicapped accessible. Virtually every system and surface inside the old hall was improved and updated.