Mount Saint Joseph Convent/Rogers Center
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Sisters of Saint Joseph purchased Monticello from Joseph Middleton in 1858 and made it their motherhouse and site of the first Academy. The house was located on the site of the former Dewees Paper Mill, the second paper mill in the United States, which was built in 1708. When the space proved too small for the Sisters and the students, an east wing was added in 1860 and enlarged in 1866. A larger west wing was added in 1875, which was to become the second Academy and later the Novitiate after Mount Saint Joseph Collegiate Institute was opened in 1903. This wing currently houses some offices for Chestnut Hill College.
The current architecture is in the Italianate style and blends well with the other buildings on campus. However, the significance of this building lies mainly in the educational and religious history it contains. From 1858 to the present day, all Sisters of Saint Joseph have received their initial training here, and it is also the site of congregational gatherings and official business. It was here that Mount Saint Joseph Academy developed and later grew into Mount Saint Joseph Normal School and Mount Saint Joseph College, later renamed Chestnut Hill College.