Howard Payne Hall
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The original section of Howard-Payne Hall was a two-story rectangular building of red brick in the stretcher bond pattern featuring six brick pilasters across the front facade. The building was constructed as a boarding house for women who were attending Howard High School.
In October 1854, a 40 x 50 foot addition was added to the north and continued the decorative scheme of the original section; and in 1889, an 80 x 40 foot addition of four stories of red brick in the stretcher bond pattern with gabled, dormer windows was added to the east side of the building for additional dormitory space. This section opened in 1891 at a cost of $8,000. Porches were added in 1911 and then terraces in 1927.
In 1921 the final unit was added to Howard-Payne. It was a four story brick addition on the south side. This addition was identical in design to the original building. In 1957 the building was remodeled by removing the porches and demolishing the addition of 1854 plus 40 feet of the original main section.