| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The building was erected as a men's dormitory and named after Samuel Cupples, a curator of Central College who donated $25,000 to the school. The building is three stories high with a raised basement and measures 88 x 45 feet. It is constructed of two tones of red brick; a belt course between the second and third stories separates the two tones. A small, four story turret of native stone is slightly off center right with a veranda featuring a low hip roof, plain box cornice and frieze, and four rock faced pillars covering the rest of the front façade to the left of the turret. The raised basement and front steps feature the same rock-faced, random ashlar stones. Rock faced lintels and sills are above and below each window. In the center of the turret is a stone medallion with the initials S.C. (for Samuel Cupples) and dated 1899. Under each window on this level is a circular medallion with the rock faced stone placed to give a sunburst effect. The influence of Richardsonian Romanesque is clearly visible in this building. A modern addition to the rear features a theater and the rest of the library, although due to the slope of the ground this addition is not visible from the front.