| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
This building was the private residence of the first treasurer and one of the founders of Central Methodist College, Adam Hendrix. Hendrix purchased three lots in 1848 and built this house on lot 69 sometime between 1848 and 1850. It is the oldest building on the Central Methodist College campus. Hendrix lived in the house until his death in 1876, and the family maintained the residence until 1903, at which time it was sold to Howard-Payne Junior College for Women. It then became the home of the Howard-Payne Junior College president. With the merger of Howard-Payne Junior College with Central College, the building was remodeled in 1928 and named the Mary Kring Givens Hall after Mrs. Givens, a member of the first graduating class of Howard-Payne. It was used as a residence for women teachers until World War II, when it served as the infirmary for the V-12 Navy unit on campus. In 1953 it was converted into a guest house and alumni center.
Givens Hall is L-shaped and constructed of bricks in the stretcher bond pattern; the bricks are currently painted white. The three bay front façade features double hung windows with 2/2 lights and intact, original interior shutters. A trabeated door with transom and sidelights is in the center of the front façade, and the front windows feature entabulatures. The building has a medium gable, shingled roof with side slope chimneys on each end. A wooden porch with plain railings extends across the front and is two stories high with four square pillars over the main entrance. Givens Hall features a three story floating solid cherry staircase on the interior. The building is in excellent condition.