Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Nazareth Hall Chapel

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Northwestern College (MN)
Original/Historic Place Name: Nazareth Hall Chapel
Location on Campus: 3003 Snelling Ave. North
Date(s) of Construction and Designer(s):
1923original construction Maginnis & Walsh Connick Studios Guastavino Co. John S. Bradstreet and Co. Villaume Box and Lumber Co.
Type of Place: Individual building
Style(s): (Glossary)
Materials:
Foundation: concrete
Walls: brick (Flemish bond); plaster (facing); marble (red Numidian, facing); limestone (Bedford, facing); gray marble (columns); terra cotta tile); copper; wrought and cast iron
Roof: clay tile (Ludowici-Celadon)
 
    Function:
1923-present (2007)bell tower
1923-present (2007)chapel
1970-present (2007)other (performance space)
1970-present (2007)other (wedding venue)

Significance:
Landmark designation:
none
Narrative: see below
References: see below
 

Narrative:
Nazareth Hall Chapel, originally known as Annunciation Chapel, is an architectural gem located within the building group of Nazareth Hall. Red Numidian marble from Africa adorns the lower portion of the aisle walls and the walls of the apse. Stations of the Cross, created in bas relief, have been placed around the perimeter of the chapel. The upper walls are plaster, a simple backdrop for the richly colored, arched stained-glass windows created by Connick Studios (Boston).

Polished and veined gray marble columns with foliate capitals support arches opening to side aisles and terra cotta tile vaulting that was designed and built by the Guastavino Company (New York). Cream-colored Guastavino tile is set in a herringbone pattern based on Catalan vaulting techniques that the company characteristically used in their work. The apsidal dome, originally covered in gold leaf, has been painted white. Green marble steps lead to the altar. Original chapel furnishings, including wall sconces, chandeliers, pews, and wall treatments, were provided by the John S. Bradstreet and Company studios (Minneapolis).

The sacristy, located off the altar area and used for the preparation of materials for mass and the storage of vestments, still retains many of its original architectural features. These features include plaster walls outfitted with stained wood cupboards made by the Villaume Box and Lumber Company (orig. St. Paul), who supplied the wood details and fittings for all the original campus buildings.
 

References:
I. Bibliographic sources:

Baden, Mark, Alisha Cora, Marla Dennison, et al. Northwestern College Historic Preservation Plan: A Plan for the Buildings and Landscape of Nazareth Hall. St. Paul, MN: Northwestern College, 2006.

Baden, Mark. "Designing the Dream of Nazareth Hall." Pilot (Fall 2006): 23-27.

Bloom, Naomi, ed. Northwestern College: A Cloud of Witnesses. St. Paul, MN: Northwestern College, 2002.

II. Location of other data:
University: Library, Special Collections, Facilities Management Office
SHPO
Government Offices
 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
One Dupont Circle, Ste. 320
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006