| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Sylvan Chapel, built in 1773 before the American Revolution, is one of the oldest buildings on campus. The vernacular stone building initially served as a springhouse for a nearby farm, with the top floor also being used for storage. The lower floor, by the turn of the century was used as a one-room schoolhouse. Water flowed from the springhouse into a large pentagonal pond, known as Sylvan Lake (later reduced in size and renamed Sylvan Pond.)
This chapel is furnished with the pulpit and benches from the Jacob Albright Memorial Church in Kleinfeltersville, Pennsylvania, so named, as Albright College is, for the 18th-century religious leader, Jacob Albright evangelical preacher and founder of the Evangelical Association. The space currently is used as a quiet place for meditation and also intimate weddings.