Green Hall (Main Campus)
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Constructed in 1921-22 of red brick in Georgian revival style, the building was named the Recitation Hall. This building made way for the first recitation hall (Hoge) to become the administration building. In 1960, the Recitation Hall was renamed Green Hall to honor Berry's first president. In its original form, the building had a roughly finished basement and two above-ground floors with high ceilings. The third floor had a large auditorium which served many purposes: men's Sunday school classes, plays, movies, and other entertainments, as well as housing large classes as the institution grew. It was a central education facility that housed all disciplines in the early years. Following renovation in 1997, it became the home of the Campbell School of Business. During the renovation the auditorium was removed and the building was converted to four floors. All floors have finished classrooms, with faculty offices on the above-ground floors, as well as state-of-the-art multimedia areas. A wide porch added across the front enhances the inscription above the colonnade, "Whether at work or at play, do your best," which has inspired many students.