College Chapel (Main Campus)
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The chapel, commanding the entire central campus area, was designed by architect Harry Carlson of Boston (who also designed the Ford Buildings) and was built by students in 1915. It was modeled after Christ Church in Alexandria, Virginia, which was purported to be modeled after the London church designed by the noted 18th-century architect Sir Christopher Wren.
Originally seating 750, the chapel was expanded in 1927-1928 to accommodate 1,100. The 105-foot chapel tower was rebuilt in 1945-1946; steel supports were installed to replace the wooden timbers; and other deteriorating woodwork was replaced. (Bees had stored honey in one of the columns, and several gallons were salvaged and used in the dining halls.)
The chapel was a gift to the schools from Mrs. Curtis James, who gave $50,000 for its construction. The gift was made anonymously, and the marble tablet in the narthex of the building was left blank, symbolizing the donor's desire to remain nameless.
Over the years the chapel has been used not only for church services but also for weddings, lectures, memorial services, and choral concerts, which are attended both by members of the college and the local community. Roland Hayes, the internationally recognized tenor, performed in the chapel several times and gave his last public concert there.