Rankin Hall of Science
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Funding for the Rankin Hall of Science came largely from a gift of Ralph and Elizabeth Voorhees. This gift was to help with the construction of three campus buildings, including this science building which was named after his friend and former Carroll College (WI) President, Walter Rankin. The building opened for classes in either 1906 or 1907, and the fabric of the building remains much the same today as when it was first built.
It is possible that Rankin Hall of Science was designed by Patton & Miller, because some aspects of the structure's massing, hip roof, and rusticated stone exterior are similar to elements in the firm's other buildings. But this attribution is uncertain and requires further research.
The other two buildings funded by the Voorhees' generous gift were Voorhees Hall, and Voorhees Cottage, a modest president's house that has since been razed.