| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Funding for the Voorhees Dormitory came largely from a gift made by Ralph and Elizabeth Voorhees to the college. This gift funded the construction of three campus buildings: Voorhees Dormitory (as it was known at the time of its completion in 1906), which served as a residence for women on campus. The other two buildings made possible by the generous donation were Rankin Hall of Science and a president's house that also was named after its donor: Voorhees Cottage. The latter building has since been razed.
It is possible that this building was designed by Patton & Miller, because some aspects of the structure's massing, hip roof, and rusticated stone exterior are similar to elements in the firm's other buildings. But this attribution is uncertain and requires further research.