| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Ganfield Gymnasium is named for William Ganfield, president of the college between 1921 and 1939. During his tenure, he was instrumental in bringing the college out of debt, raising the endowment, and bringing recognition to Carroll by expanding its athletics programs. His financial successes were particularly impressive since they were achieved during the Great Depression.
It is possible that this building was designed by Patton & Miller, because some aspects of the structure's massing, hip roof, and rusticated stone exterior are similar to elements in the firm's other buildings. But this attribution is uncertain and requires further research.