Main Hall Beciong Learning Center
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Main Hall Beciong Learning Center at Carroll College (WI) is a central building to the campus and its community. It represents the second building constructed on the site that once held the singular building of the institution: the first Main Hall, which had been built in 1853 in a Greek revival mode, of Waukesha limestone. This initial building was located at the top of a hill, near ancient Native American mound formations. But when in 1885 fire destroyed the first building its replacement was erected on the same site but a different foundation.
The second Main Hall, the building that exists today, faces east, and at the time of its completion in 1857, it overlooked a lawn and main road containing a circular drive punctuated by hitching posts. After the completion in 1900 of a major addition, this building for a short period was known as Voorhees Hall. Since the lower level of Main Hall did not contain internal supports, it was attractive for use as a gymnasium and a theatre at later points in the early and mid-twentieth century.
During 2002 and 2003, Main Hall Beciong Learning Center underwent a complete renovation to allow for improved communications and other technological needs. Although internal wiring necessitated certain interior changes, most inside walls were taken back to their original stone and wood. The original wood floors and exterior of the building remain intact. The college is very proud to have this structure as a centerpiece of its campus.