Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Adams Administration Building

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Trevecca Nazarene University
Original/Historic Place Name: Administration Building
Location on Campus: Center Quadrangle
Date(s) of Construction and Designer(s):
1944original construction Unknown
1962addition of side stairwells Unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style(s): (Glossary)
Materials:
Foundation: stone
Walls: stone
Roof: asphalt shingle
 
    Function:
1944-present (2007)administration
1995-present (2007)other (Alumni Center)

Significance:
Landmark designation:
none
Narrative: see below
References: see below
 

Narrative:
Built on the site of one of the three original campus buildings that existed in 1936 when Trevecca Nazarene University occupied the current campus property, the Adams Administration Building (then simply known as the Administration Building), was constructed after a fire damaged in 1943 the previous building built for the same purpose. Special permission for the new building's construction had to secured from the War Board overseeing World War II administration efforts in Nashville and the surrounding area, an important concern during those years as the DuPont manufacturing plant just north of the city proved to be the largest gunpowder producing plant in the country. A hardship exception was granted and the building was contructed in less than a year.

Designed to compliment the McClurkan Building that in 1942 had been finished, the two and one-half story structure has a raised basement with front and side entrances and a gabled roof. The arrangement of squared, cut limestone, featured in so many other campus buildings, was utilized here as well and the limestone for this building was also harvested from campus grounds. The simple, two-story Greek portico features a plain pediment and doubled, square columns framing building's main entrance with its swan neck doorway pediment. This doorway replaced sometime during the 1970s the original Art Deco arrangement of frosted glass, tile, and glass prisms (made by Luxfor?) in the central door surround. In 1962, attached, bricked-in stairwells were added to the side of the building during a remodeling effort. Standing at the apex of the campus' hilltop, the front porch of the Adams Building provides one of the most scenic vistas of downtown Nashville in the city.

The building gained its current name in 1991 to honor retiring President Homer J. Adams who served the university in that capacity for twelve years. Dr. Adams also served the university as its academic dean and professor of history and was the first graduate of Trevecca Nazarene Univeristy to earned the Ph.D. degree in any field. The Adams Administration Building continues to house several administrative departments of the university and, since 1995, has been home to the school's alumni center.
 

References:
I. Bibliographic sources:

Wynkoop, Mildred Bangs. The Trevecca Story: 75 Years of Christian Service. Nashville, TN: Trevecca Press, 1976.

II. Location of other data:
 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
One Dupont Circle, Ste. 320
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006