Tidwell Faculty Center
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Built between 1948 and 1950 with student labor, the Tidwell Building originally served as a men's dormitory and continued the tradition of vernacular building adorning the campus structures utilizing both local limestone and classical ideals. The building is two-stories with a raised basement, another feature shared with that of many earlier campus buildings. The gray limestone in the structure was obtained from one of the small quarries at the south end of campus and it was cut by the students who erected the building. The projecting, gable end portico, with its four square columns and unadorned pediment, is attached to a simple stone porch that is raised from the ground. The current bare double-door entrance, the result of a building renovation in 1974, replaced a noteable art deco doorway featuring patterned tilework that was original to the building. The deep-set windows, with their projecting concrete lintels above and sills below, create a building with a fortress-like character, unusual in contrast to other campus buildings.
The building was originally known as the Men's Dormitory and in the 1950s was renamed the W. M. Tidwell Men's Dormitory to honor the first student who enrolled at the university when it opened in 1901. After a building renovation in 1974, it became the Tidwell Faculty Center, housing faculty offices and the campus radio station, WNAZ.