Marks Guest House
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Constructed in 1939, the same year as the original campus president's home and similarly constructed with student labor, the Marks Guest House remains an important demonstration of the vernacular architectural style that became so prevalent in the buildings of Trevecca Nazarene University. The building originally marked the southern end of the campus proper and was home to the Davis family who helped the university with campus maintenance and worked on the campus farm when it was active.
The building is simple in design with its limestone rubble facade over block construction with an irregular pattern of windows. The front and one side entrance originally had uncovered porch entrances that were later roofed over and supported with square columns and pilasters and marked by side lattice work that in itself has become a campus trademark. When the Davis family vacated the home in the late 1950s, the house became a student dorm for two decades. The home's interior was completely renovated in 1983 due to a generous donation from alumni Howard and Gladys Marks and has been used as an on-campus guest house since then.