| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Hardin Hall was the third building erected on the campus of Milligan College, the first being the Classroom Building (1867-1918) and the second the Mee Hall dormitory (1908-1915). Hardin was built to replace Hopwood House, the large boarding house belonging to the college's founders, which stood not far from the dormitory's location. It was named after George Williams Hardin, Vice President of the Eastern Tennessee and Western North Carolina Railroad, and Milligan College alumnus, trustee, treasurer, and benefactor. When completed, the three-story structure had rooms for female students on the third and second floors, rooms for the Dean of Women and other female teachers on the first floor, and music and domestic sciences rooms in the basement.
Hardin has been remodeled and renovated several times in its history. Following the destruction of Mee Hall by fire in 1915, the basement classrooms were replaced by the campus' kitchen and dining hall. In 1920-21 renovations enlarged the reception rooms and parlors and installed a new fireplace. In 1957 the basement area was again remodeled into administrative offices after the kitchen and dining room were moved into the new Sutton Hall women's dorm. Finally, in 1992 plans were announced to extensively remodel Hardin into classrooms to accommodate Milligan's new nursing program. A rotunda was added to the east side of the building during this remodeling. The Patricia Ann Arnold Nursing Science Center was dedicated in November of 1994. Hardin also houses the Master of Science in Occupational Therapy program and the Eugene Price Business Administration Center, dedicated in May of 1994.