Mary E. Mars Gymnasium
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
In the mid-1940s a campaign began to plan for a new athletics facility for LMU. The fundraising was spearheaded by Sam Mars, Sr., a prominent businessman from nearby Middlesboro, KY. It was suggested that LMU consider purchasing a facility that had been used at the Camp Forrest Air Force base in Tullahoma, TN. Camp Forrest bears some historical significance in that General George S. Patton used the facility in 1941-42 to train the 2nd Armored Division. The structure was purchased and moved to the LMU campus in 1947 and eventually opened in 1948. Because of his role in the project, the building was named the Mary E. Mars Gymnasium in honor of Mr. Mars' mother. In 1954, an addition to the gymnasium was constructed to house the institution's first swimming pool. This section of the structure was named the Mary S. Annan Natatorium.